Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Life with a baby isn't always what people expect. Families face many challenges, from infertility to pregnancy complications, loss, changes in relationships, and trying to finding their new balance. Parents may feel overwhelmed. We will work through it to help you feel better.
Children with Special Needs
We form many different relationships. The ones we share with our family can be both rewarding and challenging. Sometimes families become strained and develop unhealthy dynamics. The goal in family counselling is to build healthy relationships and heal from past pain to improve family functioning.
Adults & Children
Improving Coping Skills
Life happens. In individual counselling we will work through it and build on your strengths.
60 Minute home visit
** Speak with Emily to find out if you are eligible **
Some restrictions apply
Payments are due at the start of each session. Cash, Visa, and MasterCard are accepted ** (2.9% convience fee for credit cards). If you have extended health care benefits, you may have coverage for a Registered Social Worker. It is always best to confirm with your provider.
A sliding fee scale is available for clients who do not have insurance and who are unable to afford therapy. Please speak with Emily to discuss options.
Emily's office is located inside Loblaws Superstore® at the Primacy® Medical Clinic. There is a private waiting area for Emily's clients.
Emily will provide you with intake paperwork to complete prior to your appointment, or, if you wish, you can arrive early to complete it in the office.
In the paperwork, provide as much detail as possible, as it will allow for a thorough assessment.
Emily will review policies and intake paperwork with you during your first session.
During your session we will talk about what your goal is from therapy.
Based off of the initial assessment, you will develop treatment goals with Emily. These will be reviewed on a regular basis to assess your progress.
The frequency, length, and location of visits will be determined in counselling, taking your needs into account.
Babies are welcome.
This is your time, and it's important that you are comfortable and able to attend sessions.
If you feel that it would be best to make childcare arrangements, that is fine, too.
1) Professional fees: $90.00 for counselling services (60 minutes) and $140.00 for home visits (60 minutes) some restrictions apply. My hourly rate is $90.00 which will be charged/ pro-rated accordingly to the time of service for any letters, meetings, and/or telephone calls- (except for booking or canceling an appointment. Fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change. Professional fees are set in accordance with the recommended fee range for social work practice services established by the Ontario Association of Social Workers. Clinical services provided by a social worker are HST exempt.
Payment for services is expected at the beginning of your counselling session. Payment can be made by CASH, MONEY TRANSFER, or CREDIT CARD. An official receipt will be provided to you upon payment. If you have extended benefits it is your responsibility to submit to your insurance the claim for reimbursement. Sometimes I may invoice you or a third party for my services and this will be discussed at the outset of our work together.
2) Booking: To best accommodate my clients as I do not have a receptionist, I use Acuity Scheduling, which is an electronic based scheduling/ book keeping system. The servers are in the United States. (I do not use the system for electronic notes). If you have any questions or concerns, please speak with me about it. https://acuityscheduling.com/privacy.php
Cancellation policy: I require 48 hours’ notice to be able to cancel your appointment without charges. All cancellations must be made over the phone. You will be charged $50.00 if your notice of cancellation is between 24 and 48 hours prior to the appointment time. You will be charged $90.00 if you provide less than 24 hours’ notice of cancellation or if you do not attend a scheduled appointment. An invoice will be sent in the mail to the address on file for these charges.
3) Confidentiality: All services provided to you are strictly confidential. There may be times when it would be beneficial for me to speak with other service providers in your life, such as your health care provider. If this is appropriate I will request your consent.
In accordance with best practice standards, I utilize supervision as part of my clinical practice. In supervision, I may provide information about you and our sessions. I also use peer consultations. It is your right to withhold or withdraw consent, or to place conditions on the information I share. If you have any conditions for my clinical supervision, please share with me your wishes.
Information about you or your situation will not be released without your informed or written consent except in the following circumstances:
A) If I am required by law to do so.
B) If I assess that there is a risk of harm to yourself or others.
C) If I assess that a child may have been harmed in the past, or that a child is at risk of harm in the present or future. In all cases, I have a legal duty to report this.
D) If I am bound by law to report a colleague to the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers for professional misconduct.
E) If I am required to defend myself against a complaint filed with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
5) Telephone calls: I do attempt to return all my calls by the end of each business day. Occasionally, I may not be able to return your call until the following day. If I am away, I will do my best to make sure my voicemail reflects when I will retrieve any messages. Please ensure that I have your current contact number(s). If there is any reason why I should not call back, please let me know. Please note: that for phone calls longer than 5 minutes, you will be billed according to my fees outlined above. (ie: 30-minute phone call- $45.00)
6) Texting/ Emails/ Social Media: If you consent and wish to have appointment reminders, I will communicate over text message the business day before our session.
I only use texting and emails to communicate about appointment times, intake paper work, community referrals or handouts. Please note that at times I may not have access to emails or text messages. When I am away, there is not a way for me to notify my clients with an automatic response over text messaging. If you have not had a response from me within 2 business days, please call me directly.
Electronic communication is not secure, and I want to ensure your privacy, so please call me if you wish to discuss something.
I do use social media as a form to network and share information that may be relevant to the public. I will not share any information about my clients. If you are on social media, it’s important to remember that posts/ comments are not private in nature and maybe used by others. I may also see your posts if you are an active member of any of the same groups I am part of. If this is a concern to you, please speak with me directly.
I also have strict professional guidelines that I need to adhere to, as such I am not able to be connected, i.e.:“friends” with anyone on social media or to have a relationship with clients outside of my professional practice.
7) Crisis and emergency resources: My services do not cover 24-hour coverage and I am not always available for emergency contact. For emergencies please contact one of the services below:
If you feel you’re at imminent risk of harm to yourself or others, please call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.
Crisis Outreach and Support Team (COAST) Niagara: 1(866) 550-5205 ext. 1
Niagara Region Sexual Assault Centre (CARSA): 1(905) 682-4584
Pathstone Mental Health Services: 1(800) 263-4944
Gillians Place 1(905) 684-8331
Niagara Children and Family Services 1(888) 937-7731
8) Benefits and Risks to service: Your participation in therapy comes with possible benefits as well as risks. Although no one can promise a specific result, there are some potential benefits from engaging in the therapeutic process. We will talk about your goals, what you hope to gain from services and any difficulties that you wish to address. The benefit(s) from treatment depend on the amount of time, the goal(s) and the level of follow through. During therapy it is possible that you may not make improvements towards reaching your goals. If this is the case, we will discuss what other treatment options are available, change the clinical intervention, readjust goals, discontinue treatment or I can refer you to a different service provider. When you start therapy, you may have some feelings or behaviours that get worse. It is very important that you discuss these issues with me if they arise, so I can help you with ways to handle them.
9) Service timeframe: At our intake appointment we will review your therapeutic goals and discuss a timeline for services. We will set initial goal(s) which will include the estimated number of sessions and frequency of visits. We can re-evaluate at any time throughout the therapeutic process your goals, duration and frequency of services.
10) Office Information: There is free onsite parking and reserved spaces for expectant mothers and young children. You can enter through either the main store doors or through the medical clinic side entrance. Please use the accessible button to open the door for the outside entrance. I do not have a receptionist and no check in is required. Please go to room 1 marked “waiting area” and make yourself comfortable.
You are welcome to nurse and respond to your child needs during our sessions or in my waiting area. I wanted to share with you that there is also a private nursing area on the upper level of the store.
11) Your Rights as Clients Receiving a Social Work Service: I make every attempt to provide my services in a professional, ethical, and respectful manner. I would be pleased to discuss any concerns that you have in an open and honest fashion. The Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers regulate the services I provide to you.
Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
250 Bloor Street E. Suite 1000
Toronto, ON M4W 1E6